Protecting Intellectual Property
Protecting intellectual property is essential to any commercialization effort. However, before any invention or technology can be protected, it must first be disclosed through the WSU Office of Commercialization.
It is essential to disclose inventions properly before publishing or publicly presenting any material related to your invention. Patent protection outside the United States may become limited, if you do so before disclosing with WSU.
The Office of Commercialization’s role is to evaluate whether your invention is able to be protected and, if so, navigate the process of patent, trademark or copyright as necessary. This ensures that an invention can be licensed in the future for use in the private sector.
SUBMIT A DIGITAL DISCLOSURE THROUGH THE INVENTOR PORTAL
Our newly developed Inventor Portal is your one stop shop to securely disclose, and communicate with the Office of Commercialization (OC) about your invention.
Why use the Inventor Portal?
The Inventor Portal is accessible to any WSU employee. Your access will never expire and you can always login and continue where you left off. When you submit your disclosure to the OC via the Inventor Portal you will have access to:
- Create a disclosure: Inside the portal you can create and submit your idea to our office all within the safety and security of the Inventor Portal.
- Attach documents to your disclosure: Have an illustration you want to show us? Add it to your disclosure in the Inventor Portal and we will get it.
- Route your disclosure for digital signatures: Need Departmental authority to submit your disclosure? No problem-the Inventor Portal can automatically route your disclosure to the appropriate parties.
- Interact with the OC: Ask questions and view the current status of your disclosure.
- View your Invention Portfolio history: Access all of your historical disclosures through the Inventor Portal.