Washington State University

Office of Commercialization


Washington State University

Office of Commercialization


Out-going MTAs

A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) is a contract required to transfer or receive materials to or from an outside entity. The MTA defines the rights of the provider and the recipient with respect to the materials and any derivatives. Biological materials, such as reagents, cell lines, plasmids, vectors and live animals, are the most frequently transferred materials. However, MTAs may also be necessary for other research materials such as engineering samples, chemical compounds, and software.

The Office of Commercialization (OC) is responsible for negotiating all outgoing MTAs. All principal investigators or researchers who wish to send materials outside of the university should complete and submit the MTA Checklist to the OC. The checklist provides the information required to draft the MTA.

The OC administrative staff are responsible for the negotiation and completion of the documents. Only authorized university administrators can execute these agreements.

If you are transferring live vertebrate animals then the transfer is coordinated between the OC, the Office of the Campus Vet, and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Office (IACUC) located at the Office of Research Assurances (ORA). Along with the MTA checklist, please also submit the Animal Protocol Checklist.

Procedure for executing Out-going MTAs

  1. The researcher submits the MTA Checklist to the OC.
  2. The OC drafts and negotiates the MTA with the receiving party. Negotiating and executing the MTA can be a lengthy process. Please plan ahead.
  3. Once the agreement is fully executed, the OC informs all parties involved. At this point, the materials may be transferred.

    For assistance please contact:
    Email: commercialization@wsu.edu; Phone: 509-335-5526

In-coming MTAs

At WSU, the Office of Grants and Research Development (OGRD) is responsible for negotiating the MTAs for incoming materials. OGRD requires that all requests be made by completing the OGRD MTA Request Form. OGRD will then contact the other party to facilitate the process.